Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Rodeo!

Now, I've got to let you in on a little secret... remember how I said that the campsite sort of reminded me of "Brokeback Mountain?" Again, I know what you're thinking, and no. However, one of the ways Adam was able to convince me to stay was by promising me that we could go to the rodeo!!

Every night in Cody, Wyoming, there's a rodeo at 8:00. Driving over to Cody was a nice little jaunt. We rolled into town at about 6:30 and headed over to the Silver Dollar Bar for some burgers and beer before the show. It was a fantastic spot (thanks Lonely Planet guidebook!).

At the rodeo, we watched all sorts of events! Bronc riding, bull riding, calf roping, and barrel racing. The cowboys and cowgirls put on a great show. The clown sucked. Big time. Really dated jokes, and didn't seem to know how to improvise a bit. Being at a rodeo was AWESOME!!




That girl ended up winning! :)

Adam and I had had great intentions to get back to the campsite and have dinner over the roaring fire I would make. We'd sit and watch the stars, play the guitar, tell ghost stories. But I fell asleep on the way back, he hit a small mammal, and we were both pooped by the time we made the steep climb to the site. We stood and looked up at the stars just long enough to finish the mini bottle of Jack Daniels (I learned my lesson with the beer the night before). We had wised up in regards to both the temperature up on the mountain and the slope of the tent. We zipped our sleeping bags together, rotated them 90 degrees and with the roaring of the stream next to us, the stars shooting above us and the mountain beneath us, we fell soundly asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment