Friday, August 14, 2009

"Are you kidding me?"


Food is an essential part of travel. You want to take in the local cuisines, have some good quality snacks, and on a trip like this, cook your food over a fire like a cave man.

Yesterday, I mentioned Dottie's Cafe. That meal is comprised of the essential foods of the road: meat, eggs, potatoes, bread. You are an American, and that's how you eat. Pass the salt please.

Another essential foods of the road is coffee. It can't be good coffee, it must be picked up from a gas station somewhere. It's too hot to drink for 45 miles and by the time it's cooled off enough, you're not interested.

However, the road only makes you desire one food. This is the most perfect, transportable, non-perishable and delightful food in the world. I am, of course, talking about beef jerky.

As I mentioned before, Adam and I enjoy the peppered beef jerky. I can do original or teryaki, but peppered is really where it's at for me. The first pack we picked up at the Road Ranger was a delicacy created by the Wisconsin Sausage Company. http://wisausageco.com/

Their slogan is "Are you kidding me? That's the BEST beef jerky I've ever had!" Indeed. I think it may have been. Adam preferred the leathery Pioneer brand we picked up later in Britt, Iowa. Adam likes to pretend that he's a hobo.

No comments:

Post a Comment