Thursday, August 20, 2009

The End of the Road (trip)


Well, I've been home for a while now, gotten a couple of good nights of sleep, taken a shower or two, watched "Brokeback Mountain" and eaten all of the hot dogs.

Writing this post has been difficult, mainly because it represents the end of a really incredible journey.

Here are some things that I've learned:

Driving is not scary. It's one of those things that you just need to buck up and do. I drove through all sorts of terrain and encountered a great deal of construction. With the exception of two (yes, two) birds that I hit, even the wildlife stayed out of our way.

Sometimes you don't need a plan. Not having a plan beyond the first night worked out very well for us. We stayed off the beaten path, made up our own rules and didn't have the pressures of an itinerary hanging over our heads. Because of this, we found our own little corners of the world, and at times it felt that we were perhaps the only people around for miles.

Cracker Barrel doesn't have much of a market out west. Driving south to visit my grandmother over the past few years, I've realized that Cracker Barrel has hundreds of billboards lining the interstate. And seemingly, they never repeat. Different pictures, different wording. I decided to put this to the test on this trip. However, I only saw 1 sign in the nearly 3,000 miles we drove. I was disappointed to say the least.

Technology is great, especially when it doesn't work. Adam thought that my guidebooks and atlas were kind of silly. "We don't need an atlas, we've got the internet." Yeah, except when you don't have the internet because you're in the middle of a national forest. Around the middle of South Dakota, even our cell reception started to go. For days, we were without the internet. Until we got to Cody, Adam and I hadn't been on the interwebs for a good long while, and sitting in the Silver Dollar Bar, we suddenly had internet on our phones again. He started checking the sports scores and then realized, it didn't matter. He'd be able to check the scores pretty much any time he wanted, but he'd only be in Cody for a short while.

Drinking beer at a rustic campsite next to a stream at night is not a good idea. Especially if its cold.

Having a good traveling companion is a necessity. I couldn't have done this without Adam. I had a bit of an existential crisis not too long ago, and I knew I wanted to head out west to find myself. This trip was that crazy idea brought to fruition. Heading out west has that connotation that you will find yourself somewhere out in the mountains, out on the plains, somewhere out in nature or in a Walmart in Gillette, Wyoming. Heading out west means that everywhere you end up, you're there with a big "YOU ARE HERE" sign, especially in the middle of nowhere. Having someone with you means that even if you're not entirely sure where that big sign is, the other person might know. Especially if they're the kind of person that has seen you through everything for the last ten years, understands your sense of humor and most importantly, understands who you are.

Pete Seeger is the bomb.

Coffee made in a perculator is always going to be the best coffee you've ever had. Sitting next to a fire, drinking hot, strong coffee is perhaps one of the most underrated of all human experiences. It really doesn't get much better than that, unless you've also got a plate of steaming bacon on your lap.

I like vacation. Today will be my first day back at work, and I'd be lying if I told you that I was totally pumped. There's something about sleeping in, breathing in deeply and knowing that the only thing you've got to do that day is getting in the car and driving. Or not. It's completely up to you. It's suddenly become your life again, you get to decide what happens. It's not about deadlines or time clocks or bus schedules or anything at all. It's about your time, your day, your choices, and knowing that what lies ahead of you is completely your own.

Existentialism isn't something you need to learn about. Especially if its happening. Suddenly, you are the Superman (or Superlady, in my case). You make fire, you sleep in the cold, you are WOMAN (or man, if you're not a woman).

"Creature Comforts" are a lie. You don't need a Walmart, or a shopping mall, or a bookstore, or a large health foods store, or restaurants, or anything really. I feel like "doing without" is also an invention of modern society. As long as you've got what you need, you don't need a whole lot. Give me a pair of jeans, a warm sweater, my boots, enough food, and I'll be just fine.

I am not a cowgirl. I like to pretend and wear my boots, though. I commented to Adam that I loved the fact the people were wearing western apparel completely without irony. He replied that they probably don't call it "western apparel," they probably just call it "clothes." Touche.

Don't underestimate the awe inspiring power of nature. It's stunning. Breathtaking. Beautiful. Indescribable. Even a talented wordsmith, such as I, cannot do it justice. Nor can pictures. Standing there in the middle of a wide open sky, clouds rolling over you, with the mountains surrounding you, and the trees and valleys below is something that must be experienced in person. Otherwise, its just a "nice picture."

Next year, we hope to be making a similar trip. Checking out the Dirty South. We won't really have a plan, but we'll have a blog and an atlas and a tent. Just knowing that there's another Existential Road Trip down the line makes me unbearably happy.

I hope that you've enjoyed reading my blog. I know that it's been a real pleasure to write it. I feel wholly philosophical and a bit sappy. More pictures will be added once Adam sends his to me. For those of you who requested postcards, keep checking your mail... :)

Happy Trails! (I couldn't resist)
With much love,
Allison

1 comment:

  1. Are you SURE driving isn't scary? I've been kind of terrified of it since I totaled my car the summer before senior year. Of course I didn't let that stop me from driving the last four hours of my family road trip to Denver, so maybe I'm making progress.

    Anyway, sounds like a great trip and I'm glad you had a fun and enlightening trip.
    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete